Legal Advice During Challenging Times

As a permanent resident, can you bring your spouse to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Sep 17, 2021 | Immigration |

You moved to the United States, hoping to make your stay here permanent. You earned your green card, which means you are a permanent resident. You have a job that provides for you and allows you to send some money back to your family.

Now, you may want to bring your spouse to the U.S. You may be wondering if you can and what the process may be.

Who is allowed to come to the U.S.?

The U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) office does allow green card holders to bring certain family members to the U.S. This list includes spouses and unmarried children younger than 21.

Other family members include sons or daughters who are 21 or older and married. You may bring your parents if you are at least 21. If you are 21 or older, you may also bring your brothers and sisters.

You have to be a citizen or green card holder to bring your spouse

You may be able to qualify to bring your spouse to the U.S. as a permanent resident. This means you must also be a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen.

As a permanent resident, you may file Form I-30. After a visa number is assigned, you may apply to adjust their status to “permanent resident,” by using Form I-485.

Required forms and documents

Collect the required documents. These include a copy of the certificate of civil marriage, all death certificates, annulment or divorce decrees showing that every other marriage you entered into have ended.

Include passport-style photos of you and your spouse. You also need to provide evidence of every legal name change for you and/or your spouse. These documents may include marriage certificates, court judgments of name change, divorce degrees and adoption decrees.

Learning about the application process to bring your spouse here may make the process easier.