Legal Advice During Challenging Times

Answering Your FAQs About Immigration Law

Many of our clients have questions and concerns regarding immigration law. As a knowledgeable and dependable ally, The Law Offices of Franklin S. Montero in Clifton, New Jersey, can provide the guidance and answers you need. Founding attorney Franklin S. Montero is a certified immigration specialist. We have assembled a list of some of the more frequently asked questions about immigration law and answered them. You should find them helpful.

Q: How does a person obtain a green card?

A: Obtaining a green card allows you to live and work in the United States as a permanent resident. Typically, most people seeking a green card are sponsored either by a family member or a U.S. employer (or through refugee status and other humanitarian programs). Before applying, you must determine your eligibility. The process to obtain a green card is lengthy and may take months or even years. A skilled immigration attorney can help you through the process.

Q: Which family members can apply for a visa?

A: A small number of close relatives, including your spouse, children, parents, step-children (your relationship with them must have been established before they turned 18), grandchildren, and siblings along with their spouses and children.

Q: Who can sponsor relatives for them to immigrate to the United States?

A: You must be a U.S. citizen or a green card holder who is a legal permanent resident. You also must have a family relationship with the person who wants to immigrate.

Q: Although I have a work visa, I still am unable to secure a green card because no employer has sponsored me yet. How can I move forward?

A: Obtain a national interest waiver. This allows highly-skilled workers such as researchers, physicians and academics to bypass the “labor certification process” and more quickly get a green card. Typically, before obtaining a green card, highly-skilled workers must participate in the labor certification process in which they must explain that no U.S. workers will lose their jobs because they have been issued a green card. Workers seeking a national interest waiver must prove that they have exceptional abilities and their skills will benefit the United States.

Q: I am under the threat of deportation. What do I do?

A: Contact an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney who will fight to protect your rights.

Dependable and knowledgeable, our law firm will represent you and provide the best legal strategies to win your case. We reunite families, help them get green cards and work visas, and fight any deportation efforts by the government.

Schedule A Meeting Now

The Law Offices of Franklin S. Montero in Clifton, New Jersey, has a thorough understanding of immigration law. We can provide answers while representing clients in New Jersey and New York. Please contact us via this online form or by calling 973-869-5556 . Se habla español.